Monday, May 26, 2014

Why why why

Leina's at a cute stage now.  She's purposely being a goof ball and laughs at everything.  Mentally, she's developing.  She's thinking about how things work.

One example:  Yesterday, we took a walk to the park.  Taisei rode his scooter, Mirei rode a bicycle, and Leina rode her tricycle.  Everytime we crossed a street, I would have to push her to about the middle of the road because of the natural peak in the middle of the road.  Then, as soon as she could, she would start to pedal like mad.  But before we got to the sidewalk on the other side, the tricycle was going too fast and she would ask "nan-de? nan-de?"  (Eng: Why? Why?)  So even though she can't clearly vocalize, she's clearly asking mom "why is the bike speeding up?

Today we watched The Lego Movie and she kept asking about stuff during the movie.  They're specific enough that she's clearly watching and wondering about what's going on.  Anyway, it's kind of neat to see and definitely so cute.


Mirei decided today that she wants her ears pierced.  She was so serious about it that she prayed about it, and reminded up before she went to bed that when she wakes up in the morning, she wants us to take her to get it pierced.  We told her it's going to pierce her ear, make a hole in it, it's going to bleed, etc, but she can't be deterred.  Plus, pain is not something that she has ever worried about.  I'm going to have to see if I can delay this for a while by finding some decent fake earrings.  I think they have decent ones, right?

Mirei has gone crazy with riding her bike and she's gotten good at it.  At first, I was worried that she wouldn't be very fast because she wasn't able to get herself started.  I had to push her.  Also, she wasn't good at turning right - only left.  But she's got it all figured out now and can even use the brakes pretty well. I have hope that we'll be able to all go biking together soon since Leina seems to be a quick learner.  I think I can get her riding within the next year or so.

Our sassy girl (the bigger of the two, anyway):


Taisei's starting to peak at baseball at just the right time - playoffs.  He's been able to whack the ball on the first pitch for the past several games.  Normally a good enough crack that none of the kids can field it and it's an easy double.  Also, we realized that his blue/black Nike glove has been the problem with his fielding.  As soon as we switched back to his old Walmart glove, he can catch everything!  I'm so glad we figured that out.  I was frustrated with why he hasn't been playing defense as well as he had in past seasons.  Here's one of his hits from last Wednesday.


A picture of the Alligators on Diamond Day:

Anyway, everyone's happy.  We should have some more updates soon.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Oh that's a cute story about Leina. She's asked me one-word questions the last few times I've seen her, too.

Oh, wow, do you know what triggered Mirei's interest in having her ears pierced? There is a girl in our primary that has had pierced ears since she was three, and maybe younger. If it were up to me, I think twelve sounds like a nice age, although the little girl I know looks very cute in her earrings. I think I was twelve when I had my ears pierced.

Fortunately, you have a lot of options for not actually piercing Mirei's ears. I have tried all of these: sticker earrings (which is what I would recommend - I had some when I was a kid and they are very comfortable), magnetic earrings (which can hurt and can be dangerous, even though your kids are too smart to swallow them intentionally), and clip-on earrings (which don't tend to look as cute or be as comfortable, though can find cheap, plastic ones that are fairly comfortable).

I am excited to go on a bike ride with the kids some time! Also, I hope to watch one of Taisei's games one of these days!!

Thanks for the fun update about all of the kids.

I like your parting shot, so cute.

Aaron and Emily said...

Leina is so big now!!! She's a little girl, not a baby! It has been too long since we have seen you. Mirei is quite an independent, strong willed girl!